Canadian Manufacturing Industry at Risk in the Digital Age
A surprising new study from the Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC) is depicting a sad progress for the Canadian Industrial Sector. As reported by Canadianmanufacturing.com, the study shows 42% of Canadian Manufacturing Businesses have not started to adopt more digital aided operations. Pierre Cléroux, the vice-president of BDC claims the study proves the benefits of implementing digital practices for a manufacturing business. The study shows digital implementation lowers costs, enhances quality and accelerates productivity. Canadian Manufacturers who are not adopting the new digital wave are falling behind their competitive neighbors.
We have spoken about the topic of Digital Darwinism in the past and as a digital marketing agency, we can attest the very real possibility of extinction from lack of digital progress. At Think Profits, we have many valued Manufacturing clients. So we especially understand the industrial industry’s hesitancy to move forward with a complete digital strategy. Digital implementation is a learning curb many companies are not willing to undertake.
What is Complete Digital Adoption?
How is it Affecting the Canadian Manufacturing Industry?
The article in canadianmanufacturing.com refers to the shift to digital production with the use of computer-based systems such as analytical sensors, 3d Printers, and other pertinent software. However, complete digital adoption goes further than just the production side.
We, at Think Profits, can personally attest that manufacturing businesses have seen great improvements in their sales leads and edged out their competition after beginning their digital marketing journey.
Why is Full Digital Adoption So Important?
Are Canadian Manufacturing Business Victims of Digital Darwinism?
Digital Darwinism is a concept meaning businesses unwilling to adapt to digital times will eventually become “extinct” by going out of business. A harsh reality for our very valuable Canadian manufacturers. However, it’s a fact that if a business doesn’t adapt to the digital times they will simply be left behind.
These days, many people use the Internet as their go-to source for information. Failure to have a presence on the internet will result in a business losing visibility. More digital savvy competitors will win all the customers. The manufacturing industry forms the backbone of the Canadian economy. So it will be a sad shame for any of our manufacturing companies being left behind because of the digital revolution.
What Are the Benefits of Digital Marketing?
How Does it Relate to Canadian Manufacturing Businesses?
Contrary to what you may have heard, digital marketing is one of the most cost-effective forms of advertising. Once started it’s easy to maintain the plan with an appropriate strategy. There are many benefits to digital marketing but the following are the main ones.
- Beat your competition. With only 58% of Canadian Manufacturers making the shift towards digital innovation, there is still great opportunity to get ahead or at the very least catch up to your main competitors.
- Lengthen the life of your business. Staying on top of innovation and global trends will ensure that your business continues to thrive and survive into each new generation
- Save money. Digital anything provides the opportunity for savings in the long run. An investment is expensive at first but always pays off in the end.
- Speed up productivity. Just as shown in the BDC’s study, digital adoption allows for higher productivity at lower costs. This is a fact true for any digital method, including marketing as with digital you can reach your customers immediately.
- Increase your leads. Digital marketing expands your presence on the most popular network of all time, the internet. After a digital marketing plan implementation, you will see an increase in leads generated.
What Can You do Right Now?
Think Profits is always a guiding friend to any Manufacturing businesses wanting to embark on the beginning of their digital marketing journey. However, there are some steps you can take right now on your own. To begin your digital marketing adoption, and effectively prevent yourself from going extinct in the digital era, you must ensure you are doing the following.
- Have a presence on social media. Create profiles on the major social media platforms: LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Google Business and Instagram. Afterward, post to them as often as you can.
- Get a responsive website. Your website is meant to function as your online storefront. Just like how you need a physical storefront, lacking a website will result in a loss of interested leads. It’s also important that your website is responsive, which just means that your website is designed to fit a computer screen and mobile phone screen.
- Create a blog component. Creating a blog on your website so you can create content relating to your industry, will increase your company’s internet authority meaning you will gain more recognition from your customers and fellow industry members.
- Collect your customer’s digital information. If you haven’t already, begin asking your customers for their email addresses and social media. Getting this information now will be useful later when you need to digitally leverage your client base for a something like a new product promotion.
- Get a Google Business Listing. If you’ve ever used Google Maps for directions, you’ve probably noticed some business profiles appearing on your map. These map profiles, are called Google Business Listings and they increase a business’s visibility immeasurably. You can sign up for it here, and afterward, people can find and see your location on Google Maps.
How Can Think Profits Help?
Your full digital marketing adoption doesn’t have to be a confusing period full of jargon you’ve never heard before. Think of a digital marketing agency as your fun co-worker. We’re here to listen to your thoughts and adapt ourselves to suit your needs.
A good digital marketing agency is there to collaborate with you and become a part of your team. Contact us if you have any questions because we are here to help make your digital journey easy.